Friday, December 7, 2012

December 7, 1941

I just couldn't let this day pass without some recognition and a nod of respect once again to the military veterans in our families.  Pearl Harbor Day has always been quietly acknowledged in my own little family because my father-in-law served in the U.S. Army Pacific Theatre during WWII. I know I'm drifting away a bit from the Alcott family, but Jim's father is the only person I knew personally who fought in the Pacific during the war.  I believe Uncle George Humphrey and Uncle Chet Clifford served in Europe, specifically Germany.

Anyway, this is Sherman Charles Shover, Jim's dad:


He actually enlisted in the Army in 1940 when he was 18.  He was stateside in 1941, but in October 1942 he was aboard the USAT President Coolidge transport ship when it struck a mine and sank in the harbor off the island of Espiritu Santo in the South Pacific.  All but two soldiers were able to escape the wreck.  Other than that incident, we don't know anything else about his service overseas since he chose not to discuss it ever. 
 
I'll try to be back this weekend with more family pictures and postings.  Pardon our recent absence -- Santa's been busy in his (her) workshop!  --cds/ck

No comments:

Post a Comment