Monday, December 24, 2012

A Christmas Eve Birthday

By my calculation, Jack Ellsworth Alcott would have been 90 years old today, correct? December 24, 1922. I think it would have been so special to have a Christmas Eve birthday - it's sort of a magical day to me anyway, I'm not sure why.  Happy memories, I guess.

 
So, our Uncle Jack was the oldest boy of the Alcott crew of 9 - often referred to as the President (did you guys hold meetings or what?).  He certainly knew how to keep the kids entertained at picnics.  I can recall lining up and listening, rather nervously because he was so serious-looking, to him go over the rules for the Peanut Scramble (oh yes, there were rules).





Jack is below holding Georgie, being smooched by Claudia Alcott and his daughter Jackie.  Len standing alongside (leaning a bit in order to fit into the frame!).


Jack, wife Thelma, Delores in back, Lois and Claudia on the ends; neighbor-friends in the middle.

Here is young Jack standing behind little Lois, cousin France in the middle, with Leonard and Delores.

 
Jack and Leonard, Lois and Carl.

 
This is a very old photo of the growing Alcott family:  Ethel, William Reynolds holding baby Delores, Thelma (Sis), Ada in back, the two boys are Jack and Leonard, with Grandpa Carroll (John E.) standing - am I right?  Someone is sitting in the car, but I can't tell if the person is male or female.

 
Jack doing what he did so well, dancing the ladies around the room - here with sister Lois.

 
Jack and sister Thelma (Sis).

 
Hello boys!  Leonard, Jack, George Humphrey and son Don.


May I just plug in here one of my favorite memories of Uncle Jack -- when I brought my Vermonter fiance to NJ to meet the family and Uncle Jack scared the bejeezus out of him by drawing poor Jim aside and asking him if he had any skeletons in his closet and telling him not to ever ever hurt me.  He's never forgotten that, Uncle -- good job!  --cds/ck


No comments:

Post a Comment