Friday, April 1, 2016

On Uncles and Aunties

I think it was when Uncle George Humphrey passed away that I had a conversation with my brother Doug and we talked about what a good uncle he was and how all we cousins have been so lucky to have had such good uncles (and aunties, of course). Every single uncle and aunt always went out of his or her way, it seemed to us, to express interest in what we were up to, lend advice if needed and most certainly kept us laughing.

At Uncle Bill Alcott's recent passing, I was reminded that I had stashed away a letter he had written to my parents at my birth in 1952 while he was serving in the Army. He had also given me a necklace, a cross, that I still had tucked away in my jewelry box. I pulled them out today and wanted to post this photo and story for Doris, Marion, Carolyn, Lee Ann and Billy. We Alcott cousins may have drifted apart, moved far away (some of us), been busy with our own families, but we always hold dear all those happy memories of family life in the 50's, 60's and 70's.


I hope you can read the letter, or enlarge it enough -- it's very sweet (even though he expressed his hope that I had been a boy). In the photo dated December 1952, I am wearing the cross; I spent a nice afternoon cleaning it up and looking through pictures. Hopefully I will not let another two and a half years pass by before writing another family history post (so sorry)! --cds

No comments:

Post a Comment